Monday, January 23, 2012

Going My Way?

I believe there is an opportunity to make someone’s day a little brighter simply by offering to take them for a ride. I do meals on wheels at least twice a month and I take a local 97 year old with me. We deliver lunches to between 10 and 14 people covering around 30 miles each trip. Artie not only gets to see the sights, but he gets a big wave and a smile from some people he has known for years and would not otherwise come in contact with. I’ll bet if you look around and think about it, there is someone out there who would love to be asked to go for a ride. I don’t mean to just jump in the car and do a scenic tour, I’m talking about having someone go with you when you have a specific errand to do. Going to recycling, doing basic errands, banking, or quick trips to the grocery store are examples. Having a specific task in mind might make the person riding with you feel less of a burden and more like they are keeping you company. I would avoid being in a situation where there is any waiting time for your passenger. That could turn out to be painful. You wouldn’t want your friend to wish they had stayed home. Some of these people may even have a car and be able to drive, but going for a ride alone is not a pleasant thought for them. We all understand the value of having someone to talk with. Just getting out with another person for a short ride would more than likely make that person’s day.

Give it a try. You may get more pleasure out of the experience than you had imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment